June 26, 2003
service for Mary Kennedy
Mrs. Kennedy died on June 15 in Springfield. For more information, call the church office at 767-7751.
Born on Nov. 24, 1909, on a farm near Enon, she was the daughter of Raymond and Lydia (Humbarger) Shellabarger.
She married Harold McCool on June 1, 1939. She was a graduate of Wittenberg University and received a vocational degree in home economics at Ohio State University. She retired from Greenon High School in 1971.
She was a member of Daughters of the American Revolution Rebecca Galloway Chapter, Fairborn, and an associate member of Punta Gorda, Cornelius Melyn Chapter of Colonial Dames of Seventeenth Century, charter member of Manito No. 27 White Shrine of Jerusalem and past matron of Antioch Chapter No. 445 of Eastern Stars in Yellow Springs.
She attended Knob Prairie United Church of Christ in Enon and was an associate member of Pilgrim United Church of Christ of Port Charlotte. She was a member of the Enon Historical Society, Ohio Retired Teachers Association, Clark County Retired Teachers Association and Ohio Vocational Associate.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband of 54 years, Harold, who died in April 1994; and her sister, Rilla Evelyn Seifert of Enon.
She is survived by two sons and a daughter-in-law, Harold Michael and Linda McCool of Brandon, Fla., and Herbert Douglas McCool of Port Charlotte, Fla.; grandchildren, Amy and David Berry of Indianapolis, Melissa and Duane Kamstra of St. Cloud, Minn., and Martha McCool of Spring Valley; and great-granddaughters and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services were held Tuesday at the Knob Prairie United Church of Christ with burial following in Enon Cemetery. In lieu of flowers memorials may be sent to Knob Prairie Church of Enon or Pilgrim Church in Port Charlotte, Fla.
A resident of Yellow Springs for 27 years, Martha moved to Trotwood in 1993 to live closer to her daughter’s place of employment.
A faithful member of the First Presbyterian Church of Yellow Springs, she had served terms as treasurer of the Women’s Association, as a deacon, a Sunday school teacher and a summer Bible school teacher. She was known for serving her stew at the church bazaar and often used the sugar and flour gift she and other widows received from the Village during the holidays to make cakes for church functions.
She was preceded in death by her parents Christopher and Myrtle (Wright) Finley, and her husband, Anthony E. Robbins Sr.
She is survived by her daughter, Maria Robbins; son, Anthony Robbins; stepbrothers, Donald and George Darling; and many nieces, nephews, grandchildren and friends.
A memorial service will be held on Saturday, June 28, at 4:30 p.m., at the First Presbyterian Church.
Phillips B. Ruopp
Mr. Ruopp died of advanced heart disease. Following a heart attack and bypass surgery in 1988, his health was a source of continuing difficulties. Nevertheless, his family said he retained his zest for life and was actively involved in literary interests and volunteer work with children.
He retired in 1988 from the Kettering Foundation, where he served as director of international affairs and vice president. One of his chief responsibilities at the foundation was the management of the Dartmouth Conference, a U.S./Soviet leadership dialogue initiated in 1960 with the support of President Eisenhower.
Before joining the Kettering Foundation in 1972, Mr. Ruopp took part in organizing two institutions. In 1963, he was appointed first dean of the College of the Virgin Islands, located on a former Marine air base in St. Thomas. In 1967, Mr. Ruopp went to Washington, D.C., as director of institution relations for the Peace Corps. During this period he played a key role in the design of the International Peace Academy. He coordinated its first training projects for diplomats, military officers and others at the Austrian Diplomatic Academy in Vienna during the summer of 1970 and again the next summer in Helsinki, Finland.
From 1956 to 1963, Mr. Ruopp was a faculty member and an assistant dean of students at Antioch College. He was also active in local government, serving on the Village Planning Commission.
His interest in community development and the economic and social needs of developing countries was prompted by his experience in the World Federalist Movement after his discharge from the Army after World War II. At 21, he was appointed an associate editor of Common Cause, a monthly journal of international politics published by the University of Chicago. He later returned to college, completing his studies in economics, politics and anthropology at the University of Oxford. During this period, he came to the conclusion that economic disparities between rich and poor countries would have profound consequences on postwar international relations.
Mr. Ruopp also edited the book Community Development in 1953, and published a volume of largely autobiographical poems, Notes for an Obit.
He was born in Boston in 1926. He frequently returned to Boston to visit family and from 1979 to 1985, to attend meetings as a member of the board of Oxfam-America.
He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Frankie Ritter Ruopp, a former teacher, now residing in Tucson; four children, Rebecca of Tucson, Charles of Newton, Mass., Douglas of Tucson and Julia of Yellow Springs; and five grandchildren.
Funeral services were held Wednesday, June 25, in the Jackson Lytle & Ingling Williams Funeral Home in Yellow Springs, with burial following in Glen Forest Cemetery.